After looking through some pictures, I realized the cover was only a rectangle with a neck strap. And most didn't include a lining. Even better, I saw a lady who had posted a tutorial on how to make one (the internet is great). Since I didn't know how wide or long it should be, I decided to try out the tutorial... besides I didn't want to make my sister a trial one, nor did I want her to have an accident while using it in public!
The nursing cover is very, very easy to make. I think it only took me an hour from cutting the fabric out to sewing it up. I added the terry cloth pocket in the corner, which doubles as a wipe or pacifier holder, and also added a clip like you see here for an easy on/off. Boning is used to keep the top opening away from the body. I decided to not line the cover I made for my sister since I wanted to keep it lightweight and airy for the summertime.
In total, I think this cost me only about $10 to make... the fabric being the most expensive item. (The fabric I chose was $8.99/yd at Beverly's, so if you can get your hands on super cheap fabric, this would be a steal!)
Please excuse the pj bottoms :)